Your first step toward healthy living is to get a handle on your health status right now. Here’s your to-do list:
- Make appointments with your doctor and dentist. Catch up on your routine screening and immunizations, and take the opportunity to ask your doctor any questions you might have.
- Gauge your girth. Measure your height and weight to check your BMI, and measure your waist circumference to see if you’re overweight and if your waistline is putting your health at risk.
- Assess your activity. How much physical activity do you get in a typical week? How intense is that activity? How much variety do you get in your activity, and how much do you enjoy it?
- Keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat for a day — and no fair skipping the items you’re embarrassed about.
- Check your mood and energy. Healthy living includes emotional wellness and adequate rest. How has your mood been lately? Are you experiencing any symptoms of depression or anxiety? Do you usually sleep well for seven to eight hours a night?
- Consider your social network. How strong are your connections with family and friends? Are you plugged in with social or spiritual groups that enrich your life?